The replica of the first Russian navy tall ship was built in 1999.
The exact replica of the first Russian frigate “Shtandart” hit the water on September 4, 1999.
The original tall ship was built by Peter the Great and named to commemorate Russia’s winning the entrance to the Baltic. ‘Shtandart’ is the Russian for ‘royal colours’, and before May 1703 the double-headed eagle on the Russian Tsar’s flag was depicted against the map of three seas, the White, the Caspian and the Azov. After Peter the First seized the Swedish fortress of Nyenschantz thus gaining a gateway to the Baltic, the fourth sea was added to the flag, hence comes the name of the ship.
The replica of the historic ship inherited her name. The new “Shtandart” is used as a training vessel, her crew consists of cadets and trainees.
“Shtandart” takes part in tall ship events, maritime festivals and visits various ports as a Russian ambassador. She also features in several movies dealing with historic events.