A glimpse into the history of the artificial island.
The history of the artificial island of New Holland in St. Petersburg started in 1719 when Kryukov and Admiralteisky canals were built for shipbuilding purposes connecting the Neva and the Moika river. The new island that appeared was called New Holland.
New Holland development was inspired by Peter the Great, but the buildings there were constructed in a later epoch, their architecture being a fine example of early classicism.
Initially, ‘Holland’ was the name of the warehouse near the Admiralty where logs for building ships were stored. After Kryukov Canal and Admiralteisky Canal were built, the warehouse was moved to the new island, which got the name of New Holland as a result.
In 1765-1780, several classicist buildings designed by architect Savva Chevakinsky were constructed in New Holland. They were made of red brick and devoid of any stucco decorations typical of that epoch.
The famous arch over the canal that connects the inner basin with the Moika river was built in 1779-1787 to the design by Jean-Baptiste de la Mothe. It is 23 meters high while the span is almost 8 meters.
Photo: «Новая Голландия» / «VKontakte»